Wednesday, February 16, 2011

the Adventure of Waiting.

Sometimes I forget to update this blog because I'm so used to just doing it on Facebook....but here was My blog from Last week. I'll probably add another today.

There is a quote by Joseph Campbell that says “Follow your bliss, and doors will open for you that you never knew existed. Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls.”



I would like to edit this for my own purposes and say, "Follow God, and doors will open for you that you never knew existed. Follow God and HE will open doors for you where there were only walls."



This sums up the past couple of months for me. I have simply been in a time of waiting and seeking the Lord. Which for me, has been an extreme challenge, due to the fact that I do not sit still very well for very long. I don't usually associate "adventure" with "waiting." But I've come to realize that there can be an adventure in anything the Lord is doing. The season of waiting I went through was a season of preparing me for the next adventure He had just around the corner that I was not aware of.



Ever since my first summer in Vancouver, BC, Canada, I have had a heart for the inner city. And over the course of the past 9 years, God has continually developed and increased that passion. This past summer it was confirmed that without a doubt, that was the type of ministry He has called me to. Well....Urban Ministry is not an area that plasters job opportunities on Monster.com, if you know what I mean. And on top of that, especially in Savannah, GA. When I did find some type of social service job it usually was a case management position that required a degree if not a masters (which I still have to finish up). While it seemed the opportunities were scarce, I still had this gut feeling like God was going to do something. I even had to turn down a few jobs because I felt like He was telling me I had to say "No" at that moment in order to be able to say "Yes" later on. This did not make sense to a lot people. But for the first time in my life I was trying to Trust in a way I never have before. While I waited, I decided to start volunteering at the Old Savannah City Mission. This is a place in downtown Savannah that is a 5 star Gospel Rescue mission, whose mission is to:



To proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ,

To feed the hungry,

To shelter the homeless,

To rehabilitate the addict, and

To restore the ex-offender.



The Mission aspires to:



Establish High Standards,

Maintain Strong Boundaries, and

Give Clear Direction



They serve 3 meals a day, and have a few different programs available where men/women make a year long commitment to a residential program which focuses on spiritual and character development.



After volunteering at Thanksgiving, I was asked to help out with the administrative responsibilities for their program called "Fresh Start." Fresh Start is designed for men who have a coming or return to faith while incarcerated. After parole, they reside at the mission and go to classes, serve and work, worship, meet with case managers, and get their lives back on track to hopefully get rid of long term disobedience after transitioning back into world around them. There is a counter part to this program from women called, "A Place Called Home." I was told before Christmas that somewhere down the road there may be an opportunity for me to work there, but at the time, it seemed like a ways off. So I pursued other avenues and ended up getting a job right before I left at Lifeway Christian Bookstore. The day before I left California to come home, I received a phone call that the opportunity at the mission came sooner than expected and they were interested in speaking with me about full time employment as soon as I got back in town.



Long long story short, I started on Feb 1st full time at the Old Savannah City Mission. My job title is still being hammered out, but I think its going to rest some where around "Women's Program Case Manager." I am overseeing the Women's Program and doing all of the case management. It is a residential program and I actually live in a house with women who have been recently incarcerated and are committing to the one year program. As part of my job, I correspond with women who are still incarcerated, walk them through the application process, go to the jails/prisons for personal interviews, etc. Once accepted, I will work with them to create a case plan, teach classes, and live day to day life with them as they seek out the Lord and HIS WILL for their lives.



This is far beyond anything I EVER thought that I would do. It is WAY outside of my comfort zone and is causing me to have to lean on, press into, and trust the Lord daily. I live IN the inner city and hear stories daily that would honestly break your heart. I count my blessings DAILY that I have been raised in a godly home where I was nurtured and protected. And sometimes I feel like I have nothing to offer because I can't identify with the road and life these women and men have walked, but I know it is by no mistake that I am here. God sees something in me and has put something in me to be able to do this job and I just ask HIM daily to work THROUGH me, use me as a VESSEL, and get the GLORY.



Your prayers are GREATLY appreciated as I embark on this adventure. It is SO EXCITING. I LOVE what I'm doing, and what I'm LEARNING. I'm so thankful for the Old Savannah City Mission and the individuals who were willing to take a woman who didn't come with the degree or latest qualifications, and be willing to train, coach, and mentor me to be able to following the calling and desire God has placed in me.



If you live in the Savannah area and are interested in learning about how you can be involved in the ministry of the Old Savannah City Mission, please send me a message. I would LOVE to talk with you.



Stay turned for an update later on some of the exciting things happening in the near future. My love and thanks to each of you!



"God will make a way, where there seems to be no way. He works in ways, we cannot see. He will make a way for me. He will be my Guide. Draw me closely to His side. With love and strength for each new day. He will make a way. God will make a way."



Love and Blessings,

Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment