Wednesday, July 21, 2010

#12: If grace is an ocean we're all sinking

Grace.....that's the word on my heart this afternoon.

I've grown up in the church and I can sing Amazing Grace backwards and forwards.... but I think I understand it better today.

As I sat at Open Table among a group of people that I consider to be a true picture of "All the children of the world".....I feel like my grace eyes were opened.

Before we started serving everyone lunch, the pastor shared a brief devotional with the group and he made this comment, which someone said he thinks is by a guy named Tim Keller:

"You're more sinful than you ever dared to be, but more loved the you dared to hope."

Can you even begin to really wrap your head around that?

I get the sin part....but "more loved than you dared to hope."

Shortly after this, communion was served......and I took the bread and the cup sitting right along side my brothers and sisters who have probably experienced more grace and yet sometimes have more hope than I ever had. These are people who are like me, yet have walked a much harder road. Most are not blessed with wealth, or even a comfortable life. Some are still battling their addictions. But at that moment.....we were all equal....at the foot of the cross. Each of us acknowledging that we are sinners...SAVED by GRACE.

I tell you. The people I meet at open table are some of the most beautiful people I've ever met. So honest...so sincere....so transparent.

One guy in particular today shared his testimony. In it he said...."I've experienced a lot of different highs in my my life...but knowing Christ...truly knowing and accepting Christ is the greatest high I've ever experienced." He went on and on with extreme passion about how even though he still may struggle.....and sometimes falls down...that is is not because of a lack of God caring for him but because of his own disobedience. He said..."God is always there, always waiting...it's my own disobedience that causes me to turn my back on him...but oh the GRACE of God....He's always there despite myself."

Despite myself. Hope.

Then some others spoke of how we have to really learn to love ourselves and forgive ourselves.
Having Grace on YOURSELF. Isn't that sometimes the hardest?

Every single time I'm with these people..my friends...I see the gospel through new eyes. A childlike, simple, "I'm broken, I'm screwed up...but what I have is yours...use me." Kind of faith.

Amazing Grace......how sweet the sound....that saved a WRETCH like ME.....
I ONCE was lost, BUT NOW I'm found.
Was blind, BUT NOW I see....

Grace. Forgiveness. The Cross. Redemption. Hope. Beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment