Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Same Kind of Different As Me



Have you ever gotten an email, package, or phone call at the exact perfect time??? Well that happened to me yesterday. My dear friend Caleb had told me he had sent me a book that he thought I would enjoy. Caleb knows me well, so I was excited to get it! Well he mailed it the day I flew out to Vancouver and after checking the mail daily in anticipation, it finally arrived yesterday.

Ironically, yesterday, although it was a beautiful day, we had high winds. About 9ish yesterday morning a couple of trees fell at the foot of the hill and snapped the power lines. We were without power for 11 hours. After the token board game, I checked the mail and wouldn't you know the book was there. So...I laid down on the couch and started what would end of being the best book I've ever read. The only book that has ever made me cry. One of the only books I've read cover to cover in one sitting, And a book that put to words the cry and passion of my heart.

This book is the story of a woman Deborah Hall (Debbie) , whose calling in life was to serve the poor and homeless. She felt so passionate about them and had such vision and belief that God was really going to use her and her family to bring love and change. The Lord gave her vision, boldness, and an incredible ability to connect and be persistent. She is the backbone of the story, but the main characters are Denver, an African American man from the south who was a slave on a Louisiana Plantation for half of his life and Debbie's husband Ron, a prominent art dealer/seller...caught up in the finer things of life.

Debbie convinced her husband to start serving with her at the local mission downtown. He went to make her happy, but it ended up changing his life. They were known as Mr. and Mrs. Tuesday because that is the day that would consistently go to serve. As they went, Ron was able to build a life-changing relationship with Denver. Two men from polar opposite lifestyles who the Lord brought together.

This sums up the plot:

"Here's a question. What do:
– a dangerous, homeless drifter who grew up picking cotton in virtual slavery in Louisiana;
– an upscale art dealer and self-made millionaire accustomed to the world of Armani and Chanel;
– and a gutsy woman with a stubborn dream all have in common? "

I want to tell you all of the story but I really really really ................really.............want to encourage you to read this book. It has given me an even greater passion than I already have. It has challenged me to be faithful and persistent. To be bold and loving. To seek the Lord and trust and believe that what He speaks to me heart WILL come into fruition at His time and in His way.

If the Lord ever blesses me with another husband, I want the marriage to look like that of Ron and Debbie. What a blessing to serve together. This story teaches you how to live, how to die, and everything in between.

Trust me on this one.

Thanks Caleb for knowing my heart, and sharing this book with me. It really impacted me more than you know.

Blessings my friends.....

“Whether we is rich or poor or something in between this earth ain’t no final restin place. So in a way, we is all homeless-just workin our way toward home.”
– Denver Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment