Wednesday, July 21, 2010

#13: Life is like a potluck

I'm calling this post a Potluck because I'm having a really hard time trying to narrow down what to Blog about. I have so many different thoughts going on....so what you will get is a "potluck" if you will.

I'm just gonna tell you about the past few days and go from there.

Last Saturday I had an opportunity to go to my former pastors going away dinner at the church I previously served at in Vancouver. It was such an honor to be able to be there for that event. People that I had not seen in 8 years were there to celebrate the O'Brien family. Such an incredible mix of cultures. I had friends there from Nigeria, Taiwan, India, Guatemala....etc. You name the place and I'm sure there was at least one person there linked to it in some form or fashion. I love that environment. I guess the title of this blog is appropriate now that I think about it....isnt the family of God like a potluck?

Everyone from all different places geographically, emotionally, experience wise....we all bring different things to the table. I think that is the true beauty of God. It helps me understand God more when I sit at a table with people who are different from me. I see different facets of God in each of them. The creativity, the uniqueness, the beauty. It is like a tapesty. And the Lord is the Gold thread throughout the entire fabric.

And this actually carries over to my Monday night. Monday night was the first night of the Women's Bible Study I'm leading on Monday nights for the next month or so. Well....as luck would have it.....the coffee shop I had scheduled it at closes EARLY on monday nights. Early as in 7 pm, the same time I had advertised the Bible study to start. It's open late every other night......at any rate....it worked out. We went to one ladies house who didn't live far and was probably better suited for the study. We discussed Romans 12: 9-21. I highly suggest you reading this....especially in the Message version. It reads in an interesting way. We had a lot of good discussion, but once again...it was a reminder of how God brings different people together from different walks of life, different perspectives. It was a healthy thing I believe. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Lord develops this in the future.

I've reflected alot lately on the different opportunities I've had in my life and all of the different people I've met in my life. My life is the result of a potluck. So many different people have brought different things to the table of my life. For some it has been love. For some it has been pain. Some laughter.
Some truth. Some accountability. Some dishes were sweet. Some were bitter. But they all had a purpose. And I know that just as God's children are of a variety of different shapes, sizes, cultures, experiences, personalities, making up a whole....the body of Christ.....my life is what it is because of every single one of these people, places, and experiences.

And at the end of the day....who doesn't love a good potluck?

What are you bringing to the table?

No comments:

Post a Comment